Monday, March 10, 2014

Skate Boarding Capital of SE Asia!

Who knew? The Vietnam Railway Authority is unwitingly sitting on a skate boarding Mecca! I discovered this by accident at  6.00 am, as I stumbled off the night train from Sa Pa in the mountains of NW Vietnam. Uncertain whether I was supposed to keep left or right down the station stair-case, I allowed my Canadian training to override my recent Tasmanian experience and stayed right. 


Only when I reached the bottom did I realize I'd just passed up the ride of a lifetime! Look closely at the first picture and you'll see there's even a ramp half way down to get some air all the way to the bottom. The next staircase over was even better equipped. 


I can only presume the double flight of steps is designed to allow for skaters to re-ascend twice as quickly for their next ride. I was flabbergasted that in such prime time, with train traffic fairly light, I didn't see a single skate boarder.  In Canada, the dudes with baggy pants and plumber's smiles would have been lining up for a taste of this boarder's heaven! I should probably copyright the name for a potential Eco Tourism opportunity - 
                 Hanoi Heaven 
       Urban Skate Park to Die For

1 comment:

We'd love to hear from you!