Sunday, December 8, 2013

Time Is Money!

The old saying takes on a whole new meaning now that we're 'pensioners' on a 'fixed income'! (Note that I use the terms in quotation marks, still wrestling with the fact that I am, indeed, a pensioner on a fixed income!) One thing we have oodles of in our new found retirement freedom, is time. On Saturday morning I put some of it to good use.

The one dodgy aspect of our new car was the condition of the tires. While the mechanic who checked it over assured me they'd last 3 months, Pen and I figured we'd best upgrade. That usually involves a phone call to Herb at Sidney Tire, a two hour wait and a bill for $800+. I found an ad for used tires on Gumtree.com and fired off a text message. The response was immediate and positive. They had four tires of our size with 85% tread. $35 each, installed! I texted back immediately "See you in 35 minutes". Google Maps on the iPhone guided me on a pleasant drive up the Derwent Valley through my old stamping grounds to a huge warehouse surrounded by wrecked cars, neatly stacked awaiting the crusher.

No hoist? No problem!
I was greeted by 3 friendly young guys who spoke to me with quaint Aussie accents and to each other in a language I'd never heard - one of four spoken in Afghanistan. They'd already picked out 3 pairs of excellent looking tires for me to choose from. I selected the best four and they set to work immediately. I calmly masked my surprise as the lead guy skillfully manoeuvred a fork lift under my new pride and joy and hoisted the tiny Honda off its feet.

While two guys took care of the tires, I mentioned to the boss that I also needed a jack, tire wrench and the rod that holds the hood up. He picked up a tire wrench lying on the floor at our feet, tried it on our wheel nut and handed it to me. Then he disappeared into the yard and returned in a minute with just the right jack and rod - 10 bucks for the lot! Within an hour of my text message I had a suit of excellent tires plus a tire repair kit and the missing car part - all for $150! As I handed over the cash the lead guy said "You know that at a regular tire shop the bill would be $180 per tire?" "Yup." said I. "You guys rock. Thanks a lot, eh!"

Thanks a lot Gumtree.com! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!